Scene: Morning commute (one of my favorite parts of the day) calm, sunny, music through my headphones, finishing up a book.
Enter: Angry Hispanic girl yelling into the other end of the phone (she was clearly angry and also naturally loud)
Other passengers on the bus are glaring over at her, I can hear her entire conversation even with my headphones
Me: Miss, you on the phone excuse me? Can you please lower your voice so the whole bus doesnt hear you your conversation, I can hear you still with my headphones on.
Her: (Expletives) No, I will not lower my voice, this is how I speak, and you better shut your ass up before I break your nose, pull your hair" (ect) You know what? I'm gonna move right next to you just for that. *Points finger in my face* gets in my personal space
Me: (calmly even tone) I'm not scared of you All I'm asking you to do is lower your voice, calm down,
Her: (even more animated) Keep talking, I'm gonna kick your ass Keep talking (mumbling to her friend that I'm a rude ass bitch telling her to be quiet).
Me: " Are you done? Feel better now?"
Her: No actually I don't (proceeds to brag about her (victory) over me with her friend.
(Continues conversation at a loud volume although significantly lower than before I engaged with her)
I move to the front of the bus towards the driver, she gets off at the next stop
***End Scene**
My problems are these:
1) It's 8am, how could you already be that angry?
2) I understand that when you're upset your voice is louder, however if the whole bus can hear you and all passengers are glaring at you.. maybe take it down a notch?
3) When someone calms and respectfully asks you to respect the other passengers, just say I'm sorry. and move on. (Recognize)
4) It's sad that you resort to fighting immediately for such a small request. Especially when my voice is low and calm and non-threatening. Why are you LOOKING for a fight?
To
the woman on the bus, I've carried that kind of anger, I feel for you.
You are pissed off at the world. Things aren't fair, you work too hard
and don't get enough back. Your family is a mess. You party too hard.
Whatever the reasons. I can see you're suffering. Here's what I want to
say to you: Let go of that anger. It's a heavy burden to carry. And it
doesn't make you feel good. It doesn't make you happy. It doesn't set
you free.
These impulsive reactions you have to
life's minor inconveniences, the immediate choice towards aggression and
violence, doesn't make you Strong. It doesn't make you Tough. It
doesn't give you confidence, (although it might in the moment). Anger
and the explosive kind you just displayed during your interaction with
me has consequences and it has an affect on not just strangers, but your
friends and family. You are what kind of energy you carry. The world
can be a violent place. It can be overwhelming and you can say "Why do I
care about people I don't know in places I'll never see?" Honey,
everyone can make a small difference, just in the way you act towards
others and the way you treat yourself. You can either spread love and
kindness or you can spread anger and hate. If you don't care about
anyone that's fine.. Then think about yourself. Do you really want to
go to jail for hurting someone? I don't think you're a malicious person.
I think you're suffering, and you want to be heard. But is fighting
going to solve this problem? Physical fights have real consequences that
affect your safety, and your future. Are you going to let that one
moment of anger define your life? The direction your path will take?
Maybe you learned them from somewhere? That doesn't make it right.
People even strangers will try to help guide you and teach you things..
Let them.. Don't be afraid of making mistakes, Own up to things when
you're wrong. Learn and grow and be Be Better. Not for anyone else but
for yourself. Tomorrow is another day.
No comments:
Post a Comment