
I love this character.. think a older accomplished version of Joan from Mad Men. Sophisticated, well read, sassy, and a brilliant writer. Reminds me very much of MB and a little bit of myself. :)
from the Lunch Poems chapter " Taking to the pavement always helps me find new routes around whatever problem I'm trying to solve phrases on signs, overheard conversation, the interplay between rhythms of my verse and the rhythms on my feet.
"... Ambition wasn't my only motive. The voice of Girl Poet also let me say things I most wanted to say, to whom I most wanted to say them. It set me up to play with popular preconceptions about girls, about poets, and especially girl poets. and to do so in away that made people listen to me and remember what they heard. "
"A judicious capacity for wonder hardlly invalidated m y cynicism which was no less sincere or profound. When it came to Love--so called-- I considered myself particularly accomplished in amputating the body from heart. Love makes the world go round, Then it makes the world go flat"
"Could any sane person really oppose hope, romance, love marriage, children, family: the most basic materials of human society? Was I secretly a monster for entertaining such suspicions?"
"Olive, do you know the meaning of the term idee fixe Because you, right now, are practically illustrating the textbook definition."
"Make an honest assessment of the choices you've made before you look askance at somebody else's"
No comments:
Post a Comment