Friday, July 21, 2017

City Life

New Book= New Reflections

Lillian BoxFish Takes a Walk, is about a lady reflecting on her life in the Big Apple.  I'm only on the first few pages but this past week I've been reflecting on my own life in the Windy City.


Chicago is a large city, but in my 10 year career, I've worked pretty much in the same one block radius 2 blocks from Daley Plaza. Several buildings, 2 companies, and I like the familiarity of the mosaics in Chase Plaza. The sitting area in front of the Sidley Bldg.  The Marquee in front of Private Bank Theater, watching Block 37 develop adding more and more shops and restaurants including a live stage area where I've caught several of my favorite bands play during my lunch break.  I've lived in the familial neighborhood I went to for Undergrad, Lived in the same charming 1BR for 8 years, I affectionately call "The Tower" my neighbors and I have shared Christmases, and Birthdays and meals together. We are family.  And I am invested in what happens to them and our community.  The block party every year is one of my favorite celebrations. (Not just because of the special White Peach Sangria that is only made for the festival) I can share a place I love with the rest of my friends and family and convince them the city isn't all bad.

I'm more reflective now than ever because unlike Lillian, I have my heart set on leaving the city soon and trading it for a new city and adventure(not tomorrow) but in the next few years.

With the financial backing of a few institutions, and several instances of luck. I've gotten the opportunity to see plays, concerts, attended festivals, shows, restaurants and wineries. Taken a French class, gone on tours,  visited museums and art galleries of all kinds,  and met some famous folk.  I've lived beyond my means for a bit, but I don't regret a single dollar spent on living my life and learning from each experience.  I'm just playing catch up now and finding ways to do it for free (or less expensively).

Last week with my brother I met two of our favorite actors from our favorite TV series, that's been on  a total of 12 years. He came through. We actually went to the Convention I've been bugging him about for 10 years. We paid extra for a photo opp and it was well worth it. To live out a dream like that together. and it was over in a blink of an eye. I only vaguely remember the actual meet & greet. but I do remember the parts leading up to and after it. The White Stripes playing in the background, electricity in the air, difficulty breathing, trying to "be cool". 

I'm going to start volunteering for a literacy advocacy group/book store next week. I'm excited to spend time with like minded people, and help in whatever way I can. To show up at a place other than work or Flirty Girl (on hiatus). I'm living out a new dream. To be surrounded by books, to organize them, answer questions about them, and writing. To help young writers/readers if I can. I always wanted to be a librarian, and now I'll be doing it in a manner of speaking.

There are a few things I'd still like to do in Chicago:

*Try Chicago's "Best Burger" at Blue Door
* See a play at Steppenwolf Theather "How to Be a Rock Critic"
* Take Stand-up Comedy Classes @ Second City.






No comments:

Post a Comment