I'm reading this book at the moment
And while the concepts I've read before from other authors, Gary John Bishop frames the ideas in a way that's straightforward and wakes me up. Or maybe I'm just ready to hear them.
What I always disliked about the "self-help" genre is that it's all "preachy" and doesn't really describe how I'm feeling. but rather a list of "should's" as if I didn't have low enough self esteem as it is.
I also don't need a cheerleader. What I need is someone that I can relate to that can tell me EXACTLY what my mind is doing wrong. And how to change my thought process. This book does that. Particularly Chapter 6 which describes my specific struggle --
I'm a thinker, without action. so the very first quote for this chapter says "You are not defined by what's inside your head. You are what you do. Your actions"
I have alllll ideas and no follow through. I make excuses for why I can't do things. and they are all perfectly valid.
"It's zero degrees outside, I'm not walking to and from the gym, it's not safe"
"I'm not qualified to write a book, how would I write something that hasn't already been said?"
"I can't date, everyone's an asshole"
And over the past few months my mind shifts, one day at a time. Instead of thinking big picture, I take one class at a time. One exercise at time and all of sudden I'm 5 months in and I've missed only 2 classes. Averaging 4-5 days a week. I'm slowly getting stronger.
One blog entry every 6 months, turned into two a week, which turned into me volunteering at a bookstore and dreaming that someday my book would be on the shelf. To writing an essay that could potentially be published online (*fingers crossed). I've also read dozens of memoir's and humor and thought to myself some of this is genius, or I could DEFINITELY do better. To seeing an ad for a FREE writer's workshop at the place I volunteer.
And another ad for a "speed dating" event at the AWM, which is out of my comfort zone but at least I get to talk about books with people I hope are actually single.
It's interesting.. the way opportunities present themselves, and you could make justifications or excuses not to do them but I've made my lifestyle choices to be free and available in a way that things FOR happen for me instead of TO me. It's time to start LIVING and what causes and activities I deem worthy that I never had the opportunity to try when normal kids were in drama club, or debate club or sports. I'm experiencing now in my 30's all of the things teenagers and pre-teens do to discover what they WANT to do instead of just what they're EXPECTED to do.
I stopped WAITING for inspiration.. to go to class, and just started showing up even if its the last thing I wanted to do. Because the book isn't going to write itself, sadly my former six pack abs aren't going to magically appear while sitting on the couch, and eventually, it would be nice for someone else to come up with "date night ideas" instead of making hypothetical ideas and wishlists.
There is excitement in uncertainty. To hell with restraint. (well maybe not all of it!)
But the other concept in the book is that you could be the smartest person in the world and have ideas that could change history. But if you don't do anything about it, and you don't share them. it's just wasted talent. Rejection is more tolerable than inaction. is my recent realization.
So I leave you with Elvis-- and my motto for the day "A little less conversation a little more action"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkCWVNaX6-k

No comments:
Post a Comment