Friday, January 6, 2017

Sickness and Health

Connecting from the last post. This year I'm especially more appreciative and grateful for my body.

In the past it's been difficult for me to make the mind body connection. As I mentioned my mind was one track focused on fight or flight mode. Constantly on. I never took the time to think about how the two are related. Health is one of those things that you can't appreciate until it fails you and it can come out of nowhere. Another lesson I learned from "When Breath Becomes Air". A few family members have been struggling with their various health issues.  One of them took a very serious fall and has to learn to walk again as a result of a broken hip. I am filled with empathy. That person has a long road ahead of them. But they are determined and I know they will pull though.


 I remember what seems like a lifetime ago. I was in the same position. Hip surgery. Full body cast. then multiple casts on my leg. I was young but the struggle went on for years. Every time I see a differently abled person I think to myself. "that could have been me". I get very emotional thinking about it now.
I used to be angry at myself when I'd get into a " mood" and spend days on the couch. Some people can't run/walk/jump. "Get off your ass" I'd say to myself. & now I do. 

I'd love to do a run/walk for a children's charity this summer for this exact reason. I feel more inclined to help people that lack what I take for granted. Kids are resilient and positive. and I used to be in their place. I applied for a job at the same Children's hospital I attended. I received a call back but I took another job offer.  But in my interview I told HR, and meant it I wouldn't be where I am without all the dedicated staff and medical professionals of that place. and my grandma for driving me to and from appointments downtown early in the morning when it was still dark out.

I haven't suffered any serious illness, not even  a cold/flu or recurring sinus infection in over a year, *and I'm hoping not to start now despite the fact that several people in my office are currently sick*

I pray for those who are struggling with these issues and those that care for them.

My sister works in both a doctor's office and at the hospital. Even in her college admissions essay, she wanted to be more than medical professional, she wanted to focus on patient care. As a teenager she volunteered at a nursing home for the elderly. She played Bingo with the residents, read to them, brought them meals and just talked to them. She was always very wise for her age. If any of them passed away she would be sad of course but she handled their passing with grace even at 14/15 years old. I'll never forget she was about 3 our great grandmother passed away. As she approached the casket with Grandma Susie in a yellow pantsuit. We told my sister she was ''sleeping with the angels" she replied well if Grandma is sleeping, I like her pajamas" Now she's 22.

I gave her a copy of "When Breath Becomes Air" I knew she'd connect with the words on the page. I call and check in with her every 3 days like clockwork. Always the one to initiate the call. Last night she called to thank me for sending it to her, she said she appreciated the fact that the author emphasized the human factor. Patients aren't just their condition or disease. They are human and sometimes that gets lost in the shuffle. She is determined to never forget. This is one of the many things I love about her.  She is ever mindful of the needs of others, she is respectful and thoughtful and reminds me to be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment