Monday, December 12, 2016

Francofile

I've gone full blown francofile..

French classes, french authors, french movies.. always looking to bring a new level of sophistication to my otherwise dull life. I daydream more than I am "present"

The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain:

"How was it so easy to disappear from someone else's life? Perhaps it was with the same ease that you enter it. A chance meeting, a few words exchanged and a relationship begins. A chance falling out, a few words exchanged and the same relationship is over. "

Words have power. I've always valued that sentiment. That's why I love to read, to get an inside look at people's thoughts, perceptions and escape to a mind outside of my own. Writers are much more articulate than I could ever dream of being.Words can also have no meaning, without the power of truth behind them, they are useless. It's easy for me to discern what is true and what is fake. It's easy for me to cut people out of my life. (So easy, I'm often accused of being a robot, of having zero emotions that are free from logic).  But I'd rather be that. People are too emotional, and can't see past them and the consequences of acting out of emotion are worse than logical conclusions.

"You were right" probably one of my favorite sentences of all time. But I always wish someone would surprise me and prove me wrong.. they just never do. Most I find simple and transparent. it's not a challenge for me. I know every move they make before they make it. and the motivations behind it.

A friend asked me what I learned from my Psych degree and whether I found any of the studies relevant today (10 years later) My answer was, everything I learned, came from reading. and from personal experience. I had already encountered every different kind of personality there was by the time I was 12. People became "textbook" to me. I could tell them their whole life like some kind of mystic just by observation and listening. The way a poker player could read the hands of his competition.  I knew their strengths and insecurities, their future and had an extremely difficult time keeping this information to myself. Running on truth serum and boldness in general. People are not always receptive to this information, nobody wants to be exposed that way. and it's easier when people don't have this same ability. "I am a walking contradiction. I contain multitudes"-Walt Whitman

No comments:

Post a Comment