An adjective that's been recently used to describe me is ''brave''. I can't say I agree.
As in : I'm brave to leave a job that made me unhappy? People I know stay
in a job for 30 years even if they're miserable, because the unknown is much scarier than the familiar misery (?)
I'm ''brave'' for living alone in the big city (Again, I wouldn't call it brave) Brave is the first female prime minister of Pakistan, or Malala or Rosa Parks. or any men or women in the Armed Forces, Firemen, Policemen/women. Not for employed(albeit underpaid) college graduates
Suburban life is just not for me (I don't drive, I need to be close to the action but far enough that I can hide) "Isn't the city dangerous?" "Aren't you afraid?" In the world we live in now, no place is safe. Chicago has its share of violence but I'm lucky to not have been involved in any.
What you don't see is all of the cultural, historic and FREE events open to the public you just have to know where to find them. (and with social media it's not very difficult) But as a local I'm guilty of only taking advantage of these kinds of things recently. I've been toying with the idea of moving to Seattle in the next few years, so I figure before I go, I should branch out from my sleepy co-ed neighborhood and get out there. Learn some history, visit some architecture, speak some French, see some documentaries (I had reserved a lot of this for when this ''friend'' of mine moved to Chicago, but sadly after 10 years of a non-relationship roller coaster 4 cities, and countless hours on the phone it ended just before he moved to Chicago- More on that in another post)

What REALLY annoys me is when ''brave'' is applied to me whenever I go to concerts, exhibits and other events by myself.. Seriously! It happens all the time. I know these people don't mean any harm, but its very frustrating Am I supposed to stay home and miss out on fun things because my friends are busy, or because I'm not dating anyone?
When you're 31 and single with no kids, the pool of people available randomly on the weekends gets smaller and smaller. Solo events become the new reality. I think it's a good way to meet new people (if I can battle my own (resting bitch face) and make relevant conversation without social anxiety kicking in. I always. "make new friends" with anyone in the service industry. I try to make them laugh along with my Uber drivers. (the ones who aren't too weird) I've also been known to make friends at the bus stop outside of my apt. *KATIE* I think if I can make strangers laugh.. that will somehow translate to me being the next (Mindy Kaling goddess, writer, producer, and tv maven extraordinaire)
I'd also like to make more time for Yoga and Pilates.. but that would require me to move my tv out my bedroom and clearly that would be a bad decision, and yeah Tracey Anderson is hot and trainer to the stars but something about her voice is just grating to me! I might still give it a try...
Next year's Halloween costume:



No comments:
Post a Comment